Businesses no longer invest in a server to run their complex applications, which brings us to the popularity of migrating to a cloud platform. A mismanaged migration can incur the loss of data, service interruption, and inconsistent connectivity, besides just financial deficits.
While transferring platform applications to the cloud, choosing the right Azure migration strategy by Brainvire will ensure that businesses will have a smooth transition. However, migration strategies vary based on the choice of the cloud and the complexity of the platform application.
Microsoft Azure offers a four-phase approach that can be used to handle requirements, data, and compliance. Let’s look at the definition of Azure before looking at the migration approach.
Azure has a suite of cloud products that allows users to create enterprise-grade applications. Statistically speaking, 85% of the Fortune 100 companies use Microsoft Azure. It is also a great option for small and medium-sized businesses as it offers industry-specific applications.
Azure Migration Strategy: Four Steps to the Cloud
Take a look at the most vital tips to strategize cloud migration with Azure.
1. Access the cloud
The migration process should be discussed with stakeholders. Consider knowing in depth about the portfolio that will benefit from the migration.
Key considerations for the assessment stage:
- Data: The data storage options between the traditional applications and the cloud applications should be harmonized before the digital assets are moved to Azure.
- Platform: The hardware, underlying, and connectivity codes between the traditional application and the database should be compatible with the Azure application. This will dictate a flawless application migration.
- Scalability: Azure allows the application to scale dynamically. The application should be remodeled to ensure no-loss migration.
- Security and compliance: The Microsoft data centers offer optimal security. The applications should be effectively built with security offerings to safeguard the data.
2. Plan the migration
The most effective migration plan should essentially have these effective steps.
- Lift and shift: This refers to replicating the on-premise migration strategy to the cloud. This means you have to enable connectivity, upload virtual images into the server, and create the same environment in the cloud as in the physical server.
- Application evolution and refactoring: The application can be tweaked to run smoothly on Azure. Certain applications require changes in the architecture for an effortless integration to Azure. Application changes should be handled before the start of the migration process.
3. Prepare for Migration
The stakeholders will need a sample migration and a ‘Proof of Concept’ to validate the enterprise’s need for Azure Migration. The enterprise should convince the investors that cloud migration is beneficial for the business.
The POC will help stakeholders conclude how the transformation will impact the business and possible ambiguity in the process can be eliminated. The stakeholders can monitor the additional costs and can decide on how to optimize them.
Targets for the performance of the application are set. The migration should ensure that the application provides at least the same performance in comparison to the traditional setup. Plans for the necessary optimization after a successful migration are also set in motion.
The sample migration allows the users to interact with the system and helps them understand the blind spots and the potential hazards on a small scale. This offers the users complete transparency and first-hand experience in dealing with applications on Azure.
4. Migrate to Azure
Migration finally happens in this phase. Depending on the plan and preparation for the process, there will be automated tools to ensure menial efforts for a smooth transition. Azure provides built-in templates that allow infrastructures to migrate in a reusable format which ensures easy transition.
Provisions to ensure the safety and security of the application should be put in place and data protection methods, like backup, disaster recovery, encryption measures should be taken to prevent loss of data during the transition.
After migration, the rebuilding strategies should be employed to leverage the Azure services, like Functions and logic apps on the application layer to increase the performance and enhance the response time of the enterprise application.
Separate evaluation should be done to take advantage of the services and functionalities offered by Azure and the application can be customized in a way that is beneficial for the business.
There are a lot of properties to be considered before a transition to the Azure cloud. The performance of the enterprise application on the cloud will solely depend upon the choice of cloud and a thoroughly-evaluated migration process. Companies should invest time in formulating the migration plan, as there are no one-size-fits-all migration strategies.